Upon the death of Chief Scott on March 18, 1926, Deputy Chief Tom Love, who for many years gave his time and efforts with the Oakridge Volunteers was appointed Fire Chief and remained in this position until his retirement in January 1956. Under Chief Love's capable leadership further advances were made to enhance the Department's fire fighting capabilities. The addition of four new men brought the permanent staff to 7 and a second fire truck, a 1930 Rugby, was purchased on December 30, 1930. Aided by volunteers this small department was effective in quenching many a blaze in the south west area of the township, but no effective protection was available for the rest of the township who were far beyond the reach of water mains and the Birchmount hall.
Inquiry into the 1943 Falcon Inn Fire
During the Second World War, the General Electric Company built a huge munitions factory on Warden Avenue in an area bordered by Birchmount Road, the south side of Eglinton Avenue, and Hymus Road. To protect the project they maintained there own fire fighting force. In December 1951 when General Engineering closed the plant, Scarborough hired the fire fighters and placed them on the permanent Fire Department. The building boom, which developed after the war and caused water mains to be extended made it possible to give better protection with full time professional firemen and modern equipment. Number 3 Fire Hall was established at G.E. Co., Number 4 at Dorset and Kingston Roads; Number 5 on Midland Ave. in Agincourt; and Number 6 hall at Birchmount and Ellesmere Roads. In 1960 the G.E. Co. Fire Hall was replaced with a new hall three on Warden Ave. A seventh station was opened on Markham Road near the old village of Woburn site, which happened to be the geographical center of the township. This modern building would function as fire hall and headquarters. In 1963 fire hall #8 was opened on Midland Ave. north of Lawrence Ave. This would see the Department grow to 204 fire fighters with all the modern fire fighting, equipment, resuscitation and vehicles that could be had. Fire Prevention initiatives were carried out by uniformed personnel who would bring possible hazards to the attention of home owners. As well prevention was conducted amongst schools, Boy Scouts and Girl Guides through the showing of films and fire hall tours. Scarborough continued to see rapid growth and evolved from a Township, to a Borough, to a City, and by 1998 saw a population of 550,000 and covered an area of some 72 sq. mi. The Fire Department had grown from those first seven to a high of 504, however by 1998 there were 478 full time paid professional fire service employees located in 15 Fire Stations, training, mechanical, fire prevention and administration offices. The present day compliment consisted of 15 Pumpers, 5 Aerials, 2 Heavy Rescues, 1 Command vehicle, 1 Support vehicle. This growth was under five different Fire Chiefs who were; Thomas Love, 1925 - 1956; George Collins, 1956-1968; Dave Forgie, 1968 - 1976, William Wreatham, 1976-1987, Thomas Powell 1987 - 1998 .
Hall #2 - circa 1979
THE FINAL CHANGING OF THE GUARD
When Chief Wreatham retired the City conducted a search for his replacement and hired Fire Chief Thomas Powell. Chief Powell came to the Scarborough Fire Department from Fredricton, New Brunswick where he was the Fire Chief. He remained as Chief until January 1, 1998 when the Provincial Government through legislation forced an Amalgamation of the six Municipalities which comprised Metropolitan Toronto. Today the six amalgamated municipalities (East York, Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, Toronto and York) make up the new City of Toronto. The new Toronto Fire Services is headed by Fire Chief Alan Speed, who was the Chief of the former City of North York, with Chief Powell as one of four Deputy Chiefs.